Ephesians 6: 12 -18 (NKJV)
12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.
Have you realized that almost every day there is a news report of war? It’s either happening or may happen. Countries use every opportunity to showcase their military might. As a show of force. Their intention is to scare enemy nations. But it does very little to deter another enemy that hides in plain sight. Verse 12 tells us about this enemy. Believe it or not the real war is against a very organised Kingdom of darkness.
Satan is the prince over this kingdom. Below him are prince demons. These fallen angels rule over regions of evil, called principality. The exercise influence over a nation or nations through the rulers. Daniel 10:12-21 clearly identifies two of these spirits as the prince of Persia and Greece. They were not the physical princes as they were able to delay an angel. No man can do that. So we know without a shadow of a doubt that these were the demonic rulers influencing the Kings of these pagan nations. The scripture also shows us that there are also prince angels in God’s Kingdom. Archangel Michael is stated as the prince who protects the nation of Israel.
The second in the hierarchy are known as powers. These are strongmen. They re-enforce specific behaviors in individuals. The third level in the hierarchy of wickedness are rulers of darkness of this age. These are the ones responsible for evil that will occur at specific times in human history. Like a wave of murder, idolatory, witchcraft, etc. They influence history and several occurrences. Lowest in the levels of the kingdom of darkness are spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. They work with the humans who indulge in doing Satan’s bidding.
The Belt of Truth
After Paul outlines the hierarchy of the Kingdom or darkness, he then gives us the tools to defeat this kingdom. He does this by explaining our war gears. In verses 12-17 the armor of God’s warrior is described by using the example of the uniform worn by the Roman soldiers at that time. To help you visualise the armor I have decided to use current battle armor to illustrate his point. That is why the belt of truth is described as your utility belt. All other pieces of your armor are similarly described in subsequent articles.
The armor worn by the Roman armor was designed to protect vital organs of the body. Soldiers had to be strong. Each piece was made from various pieces of thick metal held together by straps or locks. thick metal It was heavy. Carrying it around was not easy. It was heavy, weighing between 66 to 100 lbs. Each piece was made from various thick metals held together by leather straps or locks. Thick metal was used to thick metal to withstand the blunt attacks from swords and spears. To balance the the , we must consider its historical context. Paul was writing to the church at Ephesus. A Greek city but he used the Roman armor to describe the saints battle suit. They were under Roman occupation. The most effective battle armor at that time was worn by the Roman soldiers. So He used the description of their armor to explain our spiritual armor. When Paul received this revelation, soldiers wore metal pieces designed to protect various parts of the body during war. These ornaments were fashioned to fit the body and remain in place while the battle raged. Each metal piece was strategically placed to protect vital organs.
Our first piece of armor mentioned is the belt of truth. Let us examine its purpose.
14a Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth,
Why are we told to stand? The act of standing is an exercise of spiritual authority. In ancient Israel, judges or elders would stand to deliver judgments. David said “God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods” (Psalms 82:1). War is fought to conquer a territory. When a soldier makes a stand he is occupying territory for His commander-in-chief. By taking his stand he is exercising delegated authority given before he was sent into the battle.
One truth that we must understand is that our King gave us power and authority over the works of the Kingdom of darkness (More will be said about this in article on the Sword of the Spirit). It is important to understand that all we are doing is maintaining victory. Jesus has already won the victory.
[God] disarmed the principalities and powers that were ranged against us and made a bold display and public example of them, in triumphing over them in Him and in it [the cross].
The territory we must enforce this victory is over our body, mind and soul. We then settle it for our household and the people or geographic region that God has called us to. No matter what comes we must maintain an unshakable and immovable posture.
The Roman soldiers would wear their belt around their shoulder with their sword, dagger and other implement on it but we are told to place our belt around our waist. Why? I believe this is to ensure that our core is strengthened. When you exercise it is always recommended that you strengthen the core. The waist is part of our core. For most people It is the mid-point of the body. It centers and balances the human body. And is connected to our heart, kidneys and lung. While standing and moving it assists our skeletal structure to remain balanced.
Balance in our life comes from us knowing and operating in the truth of God’s word at all times. Our talk, an expression of the matters in our heart, must be framed by this truth. With the Word of God we must guard the heart. ‘ Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life‘ Proverbs 4:23 AMPC.
Truth must be evident in our private and public space. We must refrain from lying, cheating, deception, manipulations or any dubious act. Be quick to confess any fault. When necessary, accept the penalty. Only when we abide in truth will live behind an impenetrable wall.
Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, 10 and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him,
The truthful lip shall be established forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment.
Truth is our first line of defense against Satan. Lies is his territory. Jesus said that everything he speaks is a lie because he is the father of it (John 8:44). When we walk in truth we are walking in freedom from Satan.
Truth disarms our enemy of his greatest weapon. Very often he sets traps to entice believers then he accuses them before the Father. When we walk in truth we are able to maintain our stance against the effects of his lies. It may not stop his attempts but it will make us blameless, like Job.
Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. person.”
Each act of untruth gives Satan a weapon to use against us. God, being just, will allow him to exact the necessary penalty. If we quickly confess and ask for forgiveness God will extend His mercy and grace. This may quickly free us from the consequences.
Truths to Live By
Now these are just a few of the truths that it is absolutely necessary for you to know.
- The name of Jesus has the highest authority in heaven, on the earth and beneath the earth (Philippians 2:5-10; Isaiah 53:12; Ephesians 1:19-21).
- We have been given power to destroy the works of Devil and His Kingdom. (Mark 16:15-18; Matthew 28:18-20; John 17:22-23).
- God has given us all spiritual blessings. We receive them when we accept him as our Lord and Savior.As we meditate in the word and our mind is renewed we learn how to access them. This allows the supernatural to be normal for the believer. (Ephesians 1:3)
- We are called to make disciples of ALL the nations (Matthew 28:18-20; Genesis 1:26-28).
- We are overcomers in all things (Romans 8:31-39; Philippians 4:12-13).
- We are created to show his glory to this world (Matthew 5:16; Romans 9:23; Isaiah 43:1-7).
- We are guaranteed success when we meditate on scripture (Joshua 1:3,6-8; Psalm 1).
- Wisdom is ours. Through the Holy Spirit we have been given the Mind of Christ. So we have the ability to know all things. To walk in this wisdom we must acknowledge what we have and passionately pursue it. (John 14:26; 1 Corinthians 2:16; 1 John 2:27; Proverbs 28:5; Matthew 13:11)
- We are one with our Lord and Savior. I know that many times we are taught that we are separated from Him so we may ask Him to send his anointing. And to just come spend time with us but truth is when we have received his Spirit (the Holy Spirit) we become one with Him. As we gain understanding and knowledge of what that means we will begin to operate like Him in this life. Our light will will shine. (see
- God has given you the grace to live a holy and righteous life. Through Christ we have been given grace to over come all temptations. Grace is more than a pardon from a deserved punishment. It is the strength and power of God granted to the believer to overcome. Paul was faced with torment from the Devil. When he cried out to God for help. He was told that God’s grace is sufficient for him. That means it is more than enough to free him from the torment. (2 Corinthians 12:8-10; Philippians 4:12-13; Colossians 1:11; 1 Peter 1:22)
- God is always with you. We must take comfort and strength in the fact that God is always with us. Think about what that means for a moment. When you join with someone you have two of you. Every time someone adds to your number you continue to grow but when you are joined to God you automatically receive unbelievable expansion. Now it may take time for you to see the fruit of it. But when you walk with Him success is guaranteed. You will see the fruit of your labor. (Deuteronomy 31:6; Jeremiah 1:18-19; Matthew 28:18-20)
- All things are possible when you believe. Our faith must be in the name of Jesus and power of the name. It grants access to all that belongs to the children of God. (Mark 9:23; Mark 11:23-25; Hebrews 11:1; 1 Corinthians 2:5 )
- God love you and wants to show Himself to you. When you seek him with the whole heart He will reveal himself to you (Matthew 7:7; Deuteronomy 4:29; Proverbs 8:17; Jeremiah 29:13; luke 11:9; acts 17:24-28).
- We have been made one with God through the Holy Spirit and the shed blood of Jesus Christ we have been made one with the God. That makes us like Him but not Him. (1 Corinthians 6:17; John 17:20-21; Romans 8:9;)
- God has given the earth to the saints. He rules in the heavens but He has made us little gods over this earth from the very beginning. That power and authority was stolen by Satan but Jesus came and restored it to us. We are only able to operate with (Genesis 1:26-28; John 10:34-36; Psalm 82:6, 89:26, 8:4-6, 115:16; 24)
Armour of God Series
Be Ready for War
Belt of Truth: Your Utility Belt, Part 1A
Belt of Truth: Your Utility Belt, Part 1B
Breastplate of Righteousness: Bullet-proof Vest
Feet Shod with the Preparation of the Gospel: Slamming Shoes
Shield of Faith: Impenetrable Shield, Part 1A
Shield of Faith: Impenetrable Shield, Part 1B
Helmet of Salvation: Wide-Brimmed Hat
Sword of the Spirit: Your Flaming Sword